At the south end of the downtown Chicago lakefront’s Grant Park sit three museums: the Field Museum of Natural History; the John G. Shedd Aquarium and Oceanarium; and the Adler Planetarium; this grouping being one of the few ideas realized from Daniel Burnham’s 1900 Plan for the City of Chicago.
For years, this group of museums had been compromised by Lake Shore Drive, a high speed road whose north bound lanes separate the museums from one another. This new plan proposed relocating the north bound lanes west of the museums and adjacent to the south bound lanes, thereby creating a true museum campus. Other features of the plan included: replacing the surface parking in front of the Field Museum with a landscaped plaza; constructing a pedestrian bridge over Lake Shore Drive; and extending Roosevelt Road to Lake Shore Drive. All of these proposals were eventually realized in one form or other.
Planner: Lohan Associates